Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Kyle and the Weather


Well it started pouring down rain here at 7 am. Guess our cool front came in early...the news said slight showers then said we were on a severe warning until 1 pm. So there ya have it. Anyways, I had to call his doctor this morning because Kyle woke up with a fever and a rash. He got the fever on Sunday even though he was already on an antibiotic since Wednesday for his chest congestion, ear infection and sinus infection. So we scheduled an appointment at 10 am. Now his office is about 15/20 min from where I live. I figured leaving at 9 would get us there on time. Nope. Traffic was stopped and not moving once I reached Mopac (a loop highway here) and I spent 1 1/2 hours in traffic. Yep. Lauren cried so I have to feed her. With one hand on the wheel (weren't going anywhere anyways) and my other arm reaching behind my chair to hold the bottle in her mouth is how I drove for about 25 minutes. Of course during that time we only moved about 2 inches. Finally we get through the lights and finally get on Mopac...the holdup you ask...not a damn thing. Traffic was just heavy and it was raining..excuse enough for traffic to be bad here in austin. Its pouring down rain.
So we check in and since he has a rash we have to be put in the treatment room (can't be in the sick room because rashes are contagious)..I guess. Doc sees us and ask the usual questions. She looks him over and says well he doesn't have a fever now..no shi# shirlock..i gave him some tylenol because I didn't want my kid running around with a high fever. She says he looks alright but his ear infection looks a little worse. Then she checks his mouth and was like whoa...he had all these bumps in his mouth and the rash and it looked really red. She says strep throat. She took a culture and says the result will be back tommorrow afternoon and if its strep throat for sure then she will call in a prescription for him. In the meantime and just in case she gave us two doses of omnicef for him to take. Great. Strep thoart. I asked how the heck does he get this while on an antibiotic? She can't say. Sometimes viruses just linger. Whatever. So now we have something new to deal with. Guess I should be thankful he doesn't have cancer or need a transplant but I do wish he didn't get sick so much.
On the way back run into traffic again. This time I take the frontage road since I take I35 home..it was alot faster even with the lights. The problem this time..3 cop cars had a semi pulled over and was giving the driver a DUI test. On top of bad weather and crazy people we have to worry about semi drivers being drunk or stoned. Yipee. And even though they were pulled over to the side..it ties up traffic for about 5 miles before you reached it. It would have taken be about an hour to get through that..it must have just happened too because the frontage road was still clear. Of course, this being Austin/Round Rock it is going to be like this all day. On the radio there were 5 accidents..this morning there were too many too count but there was one fatality way down in south austin that had I35 closed down going north. That is just bad. So I think I will not go anywhere today. Days like this you only go out if it is an absolute must. The joy of living in a big city.

No comments: