Thursday, March 01, 2007

Other People's Kids

Okay so I have befriended a 23 year old mom from church. She has a very active three year old and a 5 month old. Her three year old is very much a discipline problem. He has been kicked out of 3 preschools and acts up at the daycare during church. He bites, hits, talks back (mostly he says he's the boss when you tell him no), he doesn't listen, i mean there is just so much. This is what i observed when they came over yesterday. It was the first time I really gotten to talk to her and meet her kids. In my house, I tell my kids no three times and if they continue to do the same thing then I punish them. The mom kept telling him no and he wouldn't listen but she wouldn't punish him. She says they have tried time outs and spanking but it doesn't work and even tried taking toys/movies away. I just don't know what to tell her. But I feel like if I have them over again then I need to explain the rules and enforce them. Is that okay to punish someone else's kid when they are around and they don't do anything?
She just is very lonely because she doesn't have any friends and I have a feeling its becasue of her son. I honestly think if she was more consistent with punishment and not let him think he was the boss then maybe he would be better behaved. I would like to be her friend because she needs one but I also don't want his bad habits to rub off on Kyle. Any advice?

1 comment:

nowwhatelmo said...

I know as a parent, if someone tried to discipline my child, it would piss me off. Therefore, I would say that no it isn't okay to discipline someone's child. As for advice, I would talk to her. Maybe help her out with what you do. Sign her up for Supernanny or something. If she wants help, she will ask for it. If she doesn't and you notice Kyle acting like her child does, stop hanging out with them.