Friday, November 09, 2007

Losing a Kid

I didn't actually lose her for good (gosh darn it) but for more like 5 min. Here is what happened. We had to go to her school to pick some items that we ordered from her fund drive like two months ago. I wasn't sure which door to go through so I just parked in the back. Well as we are walking in the hallway I tell her "Okay I'm going to go pick up the car while you play with the babies on the playground so you don't have to carry the heavy box all the way to the car." So we head out to the doors and I stop before we go out (next to the library) and I was about to say something to her when I didn't see her. So I walk back to the cafeteria (nope), gym (nope), office (nope), go down a couple of hallways when a teacher says hi to me (she goes to our church)..I ask her if saw Katie. Nope. So another teacher makes a call to the office to page her to come meet me at the library. She doesn't come. We walk outside to the playground. Nope. We go back in and there is Katie by the library. I was frantic. I yelled where were you (which don't do b/c it just makes her cry and Kyle cry). She said she heard me say to wait by the park which is next to the school. I don't know why she would think that since the park is further. I'm like why would I say park..I said playground. Her 10 yr old mind thought a different playground. I tell her I was worried about her and that I lover her and I'm not mad;next time just follow me instead of leaving to go on your own path. So after I calm down we go outside to the Playground. I let them play for about 10 minutes. I then tell Katie to wait there so I can bring the car around. I jog to the car. One problem. There is a fence and I didn't feel like walking all the way back around. So I climb the fence (try to picture my 5'4 160 lb frame climbing this fence the whole time thinking i'm going to rip my pants and show my ass to the grass). It wasn't very tall fence..about the height of Kyle. I made it over and bring the car around to the playground where I find my daughter going "wow I can't believe you climbed the fence. Aren't you kinda old?" Lovely. So now I'm an old hag who can't seem to remember where her kids are at all times.

No comments: