Saturday, February 03, 2007

New Vaccine In Texas

*WARNING: POLITICAL POST
Our Governor Rick Perry made it a requirement for children to get the Guardisil vaccine..parents can opt their children due to religious beliefs. Now I am not a fan of Perry but I have to give the man credit for doing this. Guardisil is a vaccine that is given to girls/women at the age of 12-21 who have not had sex yet to protect against 4 types of cervical cancer. It is something that I planned on having Katherine get when she turns 12.
Since Perry did this, he is getting slammed for doing it by a ton of parenting groups. Their argument is that it will encourage girls to have a false sense of security of protection and encourage them to have sex. Their other argument is that it is interferring with parental decisions/rights. While I do agree with the interferring of parental decisions; I do think that this a good decision for Perry to have made. Texas is a very conservative state and there are many people who would not get this shot to their children..to me its like saying I would rather have my daughter come home with cancer than to protect them with a shot. As for the sex factor...if your daughter is 12 and you haven't talked to them about sex yet then you have bigger problems. It seems that here, especially in the Christian community that you shouldn't talk to your kids about sex except for don't have it. To me that is wrong.
If you are one of those parents who feel that way I'm sorry. I am not trying to slam you or anything. I just think its wrong not to talk to your child about sex; even a worse decision not to get them protected against cervical cancer. I just don't understand that. That is why I think this is an important decision for the governor to make..to get those girls protected when parents wouldn't do it.

1 comment:

nowwhatelmo said...

It is actually ages 9-26 and I am totally for it. Chayleigh will definitely will be getting it. I don't think it promotes sex at all and I would rather have her have a shot than HPV or worse, cervical cancer.