Thursday, January 04, 2007

Bad Temper

I had to take Lauren to the doctor today because I thought she looked pale and she is losing her voice. We pick up Micau from work and head over to the aftercare center where the doc tells me that the pink eye virus caused a virus in her throat and there isn't anything that can be done. So we leave. Since it is now 6.00 and we live 25 min. away from the aftercare center we decide to stop at Quizno for dinner. I go in to order while Micau takes Katie to KFC since she likes their snackers. I give the woman our order and I don't want mine toasted. I tell her this; five times. She goes to toast my sub. I say again no toasted. Then I yell at her and say "Do you speak English?" Meanwhile in the background is a black coworker who is just standing there not helping the poor girl out. The cashier is the one who came back and said no she doesn't speak English but understands it and apologizes for the misunderstanding. I ask the black guy if he put everything on Micau's sandwhich (which he hadn't). The lady again says sorry and I said that's fine..I don't care that the other lady doesn't speak English but I don't like having to say something over and over again. I leave but I don't apologize to the girl. I feel very bad for blowing up at her like that..I know how frustrating working in that kind of job can be. I hope I didn't make her cry or upset her too much. I feel very bad for how I acted towards her...not very christian at all.
Which brings me to the issue of people not speaking English in our country. I bet she is probably trying to learn. I know this language is hard to learn and I honestly feel I shouldn't have been so hard on her. But it is frustrating to go to a place and realize that more and more people have a hard time speaking or understanding English. Don't get me wrong. I am not against immigration (I dont mind illegals)..everyone is just trying to make a living supporting their families. Living where I do, we have several immigrants from different countries..here in round rock it is mostly Indians (we have Dell call center right down the road). I don't mind them. I don't even mind the illegals. Most of them work hard for little pay. I know this because I have seen it. I just wish more of them knew our language. I know that part of it my fault for not having learned Spanish. I want my children to learn because growing up here and living here means needing to know it. I would like to apologize to the lady because I feel I acted very wrongly towards her. Maybe tommorrow I can stop back by and apologize.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be worried that they would spit in the food!

Anonymous said...

Also, I agree about people learning English. It can be very frustrating.