Thursday, August 30, 2012

To sleep or not sleep on it

Ephesians 4:26-27
Be angry but do not sin; dont let the sun go down on your anger, and do not make room for the devil.

Yay anger is okay..booo can't go to sleep on my anger lest the devil comes into my head. Okay maybe not exactly that but I did believe that sometimes it is okay to go to bed with my anger. Looking back though it isn't really. Sleeping doesn't take it away and I wake up more moody and grouchy than normal. Even when time needs to be given after an argument or as in the case of my husband, I may do something to upset him and he just needs time to tell me because he is so angry. What I have found helps with us, for some reason we got into the pattern of talking as we are going to bed. There have been times whne we have literally laid in bed talking until midnight or one in the morning. This has brought us closer and I know it doesn't work for everyone but for us, I don't know it just seems to work. It isn't always about anger or feelings, sometimes we just talk about stuff.
Getting back to the verse though, I have always looked at my anger as a negative thing. I mean, I do negative things when i'm mad so it must be a bad feeling, right? No. God says it is okay to be mad, its okay to let the people who upset know you are mad, but to not let the anger take you over. Do not sin when you are angry. So, it's bad to talk bad about someone because they upset you, its bad to take your anger out on someone, it's bad to kill when your angry (okay i know none of us would actually kill someone but sometimes you just want to..or maybe that's me).
Getting rid of anger is probably one of the hardest things to do. We can let whoever made us mad know, but sometimes we still hold onto it. In the verse it says to not let the sun go down and do not make room for the devil. By holding onto it we are inviting sin in; we are inviting satan in our heart by staying anger. When we let the anger get the better of us,we are letting satan lead us down a path God doesn't want us to go. If we let it go, give it God, then we have a better chance of not getting angry again. For me its huge to try to let go of the small stuff; its all the small stuff that adds up to me blowing my top. I hate feeling the guilt after blowing up; how much nicer it would be to feel the anger and then release it to the Lord.
My prayer today is Lord, I am glad to be able to be angry, but help me to give it you God. Help me to let go and not hold on. Let me not sin and invite the devil in by my anger; instead make it positive. Amen.

3 comments:

Gloria Patty said...

For so many years I have told myself to just let it go. Reading your blog brought this so close to my heart that I feel a renewed spark. Thanks for sharing this.

Unknown said...

This is one of the hardest things to learn I think.

Anonymous said...

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It's a
very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant
for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a
developer to create your theme? Great work!

My web page: dragon city cheat Engine